March 28, 2024, 03:48:46 AM

collapse

* Social Media Buttons

Author Topic: Tesla Model Y  (Read 15700 times)

TeslaGuy

• View Profile
Tesla Model Y
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »
I've heard that Tesla is working on another model being called the Model Y and that it's a smaller SUV or crossover vehicle built on the Tesla Model 3 platform.   Is there anymore info out there about this?  Any ideas on price or when they will announce it?

Olivia

• View Profile
Re: Tesla Model Y
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
Yeah, and it was a picture on the internet but it's now taken down. But what do you think, is it possible that model Y will be made as a pickup truck because it was a rumor and I found the information in here http://goo.gl/DAsvpp but don't know whether it's true or not.  :o

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:24 PM »
That's an interesting photoshop they did of a Tesla pickup.  Personally, I don't think the Y is a pickup.  I think it's more a crossover/wagon type of vehicle...a smaller version of the X built on the 3 platform.  That isn't to say we won't see some kind of Tesla pickup at some point.  There's a big market for the F150 type trucks, especially in the midwest and south.  But I don't think they'll do a truck until they have all the cars introduced.  Elon is on record saying they'll also have a vehicle even less expensive than the Model 3 eventually.  I think the 3 will be their mid-range and we'll eventually see an even cheaper $20k priced Honda Civic competitor. But that'll be a few years.  Their production capacity is tapped out with 400,000 Model 3 orders waiting to be manufactured.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN when you open a Coinbase account, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account used for Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

kokoska

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
I've heard that Tesla is working on another model being called the Model Y and that it's a smaller SUV or crossover vehicle built on the Tesla Model 3 platform.   Is there anymore info out there about this?  Any ideas on price or when they will announce it?

I think it's just rumor, but maybe not :)

http://carsoid.com/tesla-model-y/

In October, Musk tweeted that the Model 3 would go into production in 2017. But he also posted a tweet confirming that the company was planning to roll out another vehicle called the Model Y, meaning Tesla's lineup would eventually spell-out "S3XY". Musk later deleted that tweet, which effectively drummed up publicity, even though JB Straubel, Tesla's CTO, also teased in June 2014 that a crossover vehicle was coming.
There is not much known about the Model Y. It could have Falcon Wing doors, like the Model X. When Musk tweeted about the Model Y in October, for instance, he said that either the Model 3 or the Model Y would have Falcon doors.

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »
Agreed.   I've seen that pic before. Could very well by the Y with one of the doors open.  It seems they've been having some issues with the X's falcon wing doors.  Hopefully they'll have it all mastered by the time the Y rolls around.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN when you open a Coinbase account, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account used for Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

KyleWi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
Does anyone think we'll see the Model Y before 2020? Until recently, I thought the release date was pretty close, but I losing my faith.

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
Elon said during this week's earnings report press conference that the company was turning attention to the Model Y crossover now so I'm hoping the answer is yes.